Thread: Malifaux second edition!

SgtBrowncoat's Avatar Store Staff

Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Edward

Malifaux second edition!

Via Wyd miniature's Justin Gibbs, reposted from Bell of Lost souls:

Malifaux Second Edition: Getting Back on the Table

We gamers can be a fickle bunch. I couldn’t tell you how many models I have bought with the best of
    intentions, “This one will make it onto the table, I swear!” I have often joked that if companies only
    made money off of the models which we actually completed our industry would cease to exist. One of
    my friends has an entire closet dedicated to his unassembled models; he calls it the “Closet of Shame.”

Today, I am here to talk to you about Malifaux Second Edition. If you already play a ton of Malifaux,
    great! Myself and Mack Martin have visited as many podcasts as we could, going into an incredible
    amount of detail about the new mechanics (including Forge the Narrative, here on BoLS). If you are a
    Malifaux veteran, I would hope you check one of those out, as no questions were off limits to the hosts
    of those shows. However, with this article, I want to reach out to a different group. I want to talk to the
    people who dabbled in Malifaux, gave it a shot, but ultimately put it into their own “Closet of shame.”

One piece of feedback we’ve received consistently is that the cards simply had too much on them. This
    makes the game difficult to learn for new players. We have streamlined and cleaned up the stat cards
    (with a new, easy to read layout, I might add) and moved some of the more complex abilities to upgrade
    cards, which characters can purchase. This allows a much greater variety in list building. It also allows
    veteran players to build all of their favorite characters up to the complexity which they are used to,
    while allowing newer players to start at a more focused level. This idea of “optional complexity” will
    keep the game fresh for years to come, as players can subtly adjust how their models function from
    game to game. Finally, if we find that an older model is under-performing, it gives us a tool to fix that
    model by way of releasing an upgrade for it in future expansions.

Malifaux was a hit when it was first released back in 2009; in some ways, too big of a hit. The rules could
    not keep up with demand. Since then, the game has seen FAQs and errata. Many rulings were made
    on the forums, making them tricky to find. Second Edition will fix all of this. We are taking the massive
    amounts of feedback we have received over the years and fixing the clarity issues, addressing the errata,
    and doing our best to eliminate the need for mid-game rulings. The game is designed to operate more
    smoothly, for both new and veteran gamers. Once Second Edition hits, we will do all of our FAQs on a
    preset schedule, on our website. Players will know when a new FAQ will be released, and they can be
    prepared. This means that the official rulings that are needed will be fewer, and always in one place, not
    spread throughout the forums.

Last, but not least, we are taking a very hard look at the game’s balance. We are putting all of the
    models through their paces and making sure that every master is up to par, and none are dominating
    the meta. We want this to be as balanced an experience as possible. This includes many revisions, like
    an overhaul to how encounters are presented. Both competitive and narrative players will find that the
    encounters system is tailored directly to them, so that they can simply turn to the Standard Chapter for
    a competitive style game, or the Narrative Chapter to build a unique story-driven event.

The card system is still there. The gritty, wild-west, magic & steam-punk theme is still there. Our
    models are getting a rerelease in plastic, with fantastic new sculpts. Oh, and we’re having a public beta
    test starting this June. If you fell in love with Malifaux but something made it not the game for you, now
    is the time to jump back in and Cheat Fate again!

Lots of good information can be found on the podcasts and so forth. As your friendly local Wyrd Henchman, I am happy to answer what questions I can, and will be running Malifaux 2.0 demos as soon as I can (June) In the meantime, I can still demonstrate the basics of the game and what makes it awesome!
    -40K: Dark Eldar, Blood Angels, Vostroyans, Tallarn, Thousand Sons, Crimson Fists
    -Warhammer: Greenskins, Cult of Slaanesh
    -Epic: Steel Legion
    -Wargods: Basti
    -Infinity: Caledonia, Haqqislam
    -War Rocket: Space Pirates
    -Malifaux: Colette, Viktoria, Lucius, Nicodem, Jacob Lynch, Pandora, Som'er Teeth Jones
    -WW1: Late War Germans
    -High seas: Privateers
    -Old west: U.S. Infantry, Outlaws
    -Ancients/Saga: Normans
    -L5R: Lion

Real Name
    Dave

Re: Malifaux second edition!

How about demonstrating how awesome it is this Sunday, say around 2pm? for Keith and I?
    I'm just here to blow stuff up.... and I run alot of plasma... so chances are it'll be me that I blow up.

WH40k ~ Dark Angels, Necrons, Dark Eagles (Raven Guard)
    Star Wars Mini's ~ Both Imperials & Rebels
    Malifaux ~ Lucas McCabe, Mei Feng

Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Edward

That is the plan. : ) Although I believe we established 4PM. I can probably do 3, if that works.
    Last edited by SgtBrowncoat; 05-11-2013 at 11:49 AM.
    -40K: Dark Eldar, Blood Angels, Vostroyans, Tallarn, Thousand Sons, Crimson Fists
    -Malifaux: Colette, Viktoria, Lucius, Nicodem, Jacob Lynch, Pandora, Som'er Teeth Jones

Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Edward

The open beta rules for Malifaux 2.0 become available tomorrow! When is the last time you got a chance to test and give feedback for a new rule set? well, now is your chance!

On Thursday, June 6th, I will hold a brief meeting to catch everyone interested up on the changes to the game. I will follow up with this on Tuesday the 11th (regular Malifaux night) This will be your chance to see what is changing and try out the new rules, and I do the reading for you! Also look out for some events that will help everyone get on track with the new rules as we prepare for the official release and all the cool new stuff!

Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Edward

Here is a link to the beta information, files and new stat cards. Remember, there will be a brief get together on Thursday the 6th and Tuesday the 11th to go over the changes, answer questions, and get the ball rolling right!

http://www.wyrd-games.net/forumdispl...2E-Public-Beta

livingancestor's Avatar Moderator

Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Forrest

Ed,

Is there a beta test PDF of the new rules? Also, are there any sample cards to look at?

Nevermind. I found them.

I took a look at the new rules, and I have to say, I think this will make Malifaux a better game. The changes to the feel of the rules are minimal. The big change is in the customizable models. Do you want a "Shooty" Perdita, or do you want the "Heroic" Perdita? Now it is your choice. I think this will give new players a better chance to understand a tough ruleset. Two Thumbs Up!!
    Whose game was empires and whose stakes were thrones,
    Whose table earth, whose dice were human bones.
    - Lord Byron

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit...what a ride"

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf
    - George Orwell

Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Edward

Quote Originally Posted by livingancestor View Post
    Ed,
    I took a look at the new rules, and I have to say, I think this will make Malifaux a better game. The changes to the feel of the rules are minimal. The big change is in the customizable models. Do you want a "Shooty" Perdita, or do you want the "Heroic" Perdita? Now it is your choice. I think this will give new players a better chance to understand a tough ruleset. Two Thumbs Up!!
    I tend to agree. I think there is a lot of positive change here.

All: Please post here or message me if you plan to attend one of the get-togethers, just so I can prepare properly.

Just started reading over the rules, but the main thing I am happy about is that my Gremlins are now their own faction. I will try to make the 11th for the brief, but if I can't, is it possible to get with you some other day?

Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Edward

Quote Originally Posted by Lolepops View Post
    Just started reading over the rules, but the main thing I am happy about is that my Gremlins are now their own faction. I will try to make the 11th for the brief, but if I can't, is it possible to get with you some other day?
    Certainly. I am happy to do demos when I can.

Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Edward

6PM tonight: Learn about Malifaux 2.0 see you tonight!

Also, Tuesday the 11th at 7PM.